Laugh, dance, romance

Monday, April 13, 2009

Sexism


We are 10 people in the team and 2 of us are females. This is normal even perfect ratio as for IT. Usually there are sometimes no females at all. And for the last 3 months of work here, I and my female coworker got bullied on daily basis for our gender. We happened to work with young men (23-30 y.o.) without regular relationships with opposite sex (bachelors).
This, I guess, turned out into their sick attitude and behavior. I tried to analyze the source of these hundreds of jokes of women’s stupidness and disability to do simple activities. And guess, it is kind of attempt to look more smart and masterful when you get down minority. This is probably the first for a long time when I felt as oppressed minority and it made me really mad. I’ve never been a feminist and considered this term as negative. But comments like ‘since you have couple of breasts you don’t need your brains’ helped me to discover, that feminist are noble and brave woman, who fight to have equal rights.

I don’t think I will work with these crazy guys too long, because on daily basics we hate and fight each other. Another sad thing, our managers are Swedes and they do not understand what is going on (they don’t speak and understand Russian). They have only my complaints and ‘nothing happens’ respond from boys. Another girl is more soft and sometimes end up with tears.
Hope this experience wont turn me into man-hater, screaming “All men are cruel stupid assholes”. Sexism is the stupidest thing in the world.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home